This National Dentist Day, we’re celebrating by spotlighting the amazing history of dentistry – from early tooth extractions to today’s state-of-the-art dental implants. And we’re especially excited to share the story of how Chicago Dental Implants has become one of the leading implant dentists in the country. So whether you’re looking for a new smile or just wanting to learn more about your teeth, read on!
A brief history of dentistry – from early tooth extractions to modern dental implants
The history of dentistry, like so many other fields, began with our earliest ancestors.
|Ancient Egyptians used gold ligature wire to stabilize natural teeth
|Etruscans used gold bands and fake teeth made from oxen bones
|Phoenicians used ivory teeth stabilized with gold wire for dental bridges
|Mayans implanted shell pieces into the jaw, which is the first evidence of dental implants
|Hondurans placed a mandibular stone dental implant
|Dr. John Hunter suggested the idea of tooth transplantation
|Europeans used various substances to stabilize loose teeth and even transplanted teeth into people who were missing teeth.
|Dr. EJ Greenfield developed a hollow latticed cylinder for dental implants
|Drs. Alvin and Moses Strock placed the first successful endosteal implant
|Dr. P.B. Adams patented a cylindrical endosteal implant
|Three implant dentists made advancements. Dr. Formiggini developed a post-type endosteal implant made from stainless steel. Dr. Chercheve added burs to the spiral implant design to help with implant placement. And Dr. Gustav Dahl developed the subperiosteal implant, which sits on top of the jawbone.
|Dr. Cherchieve developed the double-helical spiral implant and Dr. Leonard Linkow developed blade implant variations which made it possible to place implants in both the upper and lower jaw.
|Dr. P. Branemark presented a two-stage threaded implant made of titanium. Branemark also eventually developed zygomatic implants in the 1990s.
|1980s – present
|Ongoing modifications and studies on dental implant efficacy and improvement
|High success rate (97%) considered the best tooth-replacement option
Today there are implant dentists providing their services at clinics around the world making life-changing differences in patients’ lives. So let’s take time out on National Dentist Day to celebrate all that implant dentistry achieves for us!
How dental implants have revolutionized the field of dentistry
Dental implants have been a major game-changer in the field of dentistry, offering a durable, long-lasting solution for people with missing teeth. Before the invention of dental implants, people with missing teeth had to rely on traditional dentures, which could be uncomfortable and prone to slipping. However, dental implants have revolutionized the way dentists think about tooth replacement by offering a permanent, stable solution that functions just like natural teeth.
Dental implants have continued to evolve, with advancements in materials, design, and techniques. For example, the introduction of zygomatic dental implants has made it possible for people with significant jawbone loss to receive dental implants, where previously they may have been considered poor candidates.
Not only that, but the success rate of dental implants is extremely high, with studies showing that the success rate is 97%. This success rate, combined with their durability, has made dental implants the “gold standard” of tooth replacement options. Overall, dental implants have revolutionized the field of dentistry. The continued advancements in dental implant technology ensure that people with missing teeth will have access to the best possible solutions for their dental needs.
The benefits of dental implants over other teeth replacement options
Dental implants offer incredible advantages over other missing teeth replacement options like bridges or dentures.
Dental implants have several benefits, including:
- Improved appearance: Dental implants look and feel like natural teeth, helping to improve your smile and self-confidence. Not only that, but they help to fill in your smile and prevent your cheeks from looking sunken in or hollow.
- Durability: Implants are made of strong, durable materials and can last for many years with proper care. The implant screw is made from titanium, while the attached restorations are generally made from porcelain.
- Comfort: Unlike dentures or bridges, dental implants do not move or slip in your mouth, making them a comfortable option for replacing missing teeth. In fact, dental implants are made to function like natural teeth.
- Better oral health: Dental implants eliminate gaps from missing teeth where bacteria can accumulate. This helps to decrease the risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Additionally, dental implants protect natural teeth by preventing the surrounding teeth from shifting into the spaces left by missing teeth.
- Improved speech: Implants are more stable than dentures and allow you to speak without worrying about your teeth shifting or slipping. By replacing missing teeth, implants can also improve speech difficulties.
- Improved chewing: Dental implants allow you to eat a wider variety of foods with confidence, since they function and feel like natural teeth. In fact, people with dental implants are generally healthier than those with dentures since they can eat a wider variety of food.
- Convenience: Implants do not need to be removed for cleaning or soaking. Instead, you simply need to care for them like you would natural teeth, making oral hygiene easier and more convenient.
- Long-term solution: With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime, providing a long-term solution for missing teeth.
- Maintains bone mass: When a tooth is missing, the bone can start to atrophy over time. However, dental implants actually help to maintain bone mass in the jaw because they provide the necessary stimulation that cannot be replicated with dentures or bridges.
- Encourages smiling: When you love your smile, you will be more likely to smile. Science has shown there are several benefits to smiling such as longer lifespan, mood improvement, and better social relationships.
Why New Teeth Chicago Dental Implants is the best choice for your new teeth
If you’re in the market for new teeth, New Teeth Chicago Dental Implants is a great choice. We take great pride in being able to offer our full arch/jaw implant patients the benefits of having an in-house dental lab. Our digital lab enables us
to provide you with a streamlined treatment process, better surgical experience, individualized restorations, and predictable, long-lasting results.
Our Alpha Technology Dental lab features state-of-the-art technology such as a CAD/CAM design station, a scanner, a milling machine, a face-hunter for virtual patient analysis, and a 3D dental CT scan. With these advancements, we are able to offer our patients numerous advantages, including:
- Improved treatment outcomes: our dental CT scanner allows us to obtain detailed scans of your teeth, soft tissues, nerves, and bone. This information is then imported into our specialized software so we can create a detailed treatment plan that works best for your individual anatomy.
- Shorter treatment and recovery periods: The use of 3D scans and dental implant planning software also shortens treatment and healing durations. By capturing 3D scans and importing them into the dental planning software, your dentist can make more accurate predictions about your body’s reaction to the dental implant placement, thereby reducing the chances of unexpected occurrences during the procedure. This results in a smoother and more efficient procedure, as well as less stress on surrounding tissues, leading to a shorter healing period. Our in-office milling machine further shortens the overall treatment duration. This is because we do not have to rely on an external dental laboratory to manufacture your custom restorations. Instead, we can produce these restorations in our office while you wait, using materials such as zirconia, resin, composite, and titanium. This not only reduces the total treatment time but also minimizes the need for temporary restorations and removes the likelihood of delays between appointments.
- Customized restorations: Our dental technology also provides the opportunity for personalized tooth replacements. After all, your original smile was one-of-a-kind, so your dental implants should be as well. One way to personalize your tooth replacement is through the integration of 3D scans into the planning software. Another way is through the use of Face Hunter, a scanner that produces photo-realistic 3D digitization of your face. Essentially, the Face Hunter technology quickly scans your face to capture your unique facial features and then digitizes the image to be modified using the planning software. This enables you and your implant dentist to visualize how the placement of dental implants will impact your appearance.
So if you want your smile restored with the most up to date dental technology, come check out Chicago Dental Implants for National Dentist Day!
A spotlight on Dr. Atcha–dental implant dentist
Of course National Dentist Day just wouldn’t be complete without honoring our Chicago implant dentist! This National Dentist Day, we’d like to give a shoutout to Dr. Atcha, an exemplary dental implant dentist!
Dr. Atcha’s mission is to assist those who have been seeking answers to their missing or failing teeth, when other solutions have been unsuccessful. As a nationally recognized implantologist and cosmetic dentist, Dr. Atcha is a diplomat in complex dental implant cases, intricate cosmetic dentistry, digital implant dentistry, and sedation dentistry. He holds dental licenses in the states of Illinois, Florida, and California.
Dr. Atcha takes great pride in ensuring that each patient receives top-notch treatment, resulting in a million-dollar smile that elevates their confidence and self-esteem. The positive feedback from his patients attests to his commitment to delivering the highest standard of care at New Teeth Chicago Dental.
“I understand how frustrating it can be to live with the embarrassment, pain, and hopelessness caused by missing or damaged teeth or ill-fitting dentures or partial dentures. Some patients have been told they are not suitable candidates for dental implants because of a lack of jaw bone. However, I have worked with many individuals who thought they would be stuck with these issues for life, but together, we found a solution. We have given them hope with our effective care and now they enjoy healthy, fully-functioning, and beautiful smiles.”-Dr. Atcha
Celebrate National Dentist’s Day with New Teeth Chicago Dental Implants
This National Dentist Day, we invite you to celebrate by giving yourself the gift of a consultation with our team at Chicago Dental Implants. Dr. Atcha and his colleagues are experts in implant placement and restoration, and they will work with you to develop a treatment plan that meets your individual needs. With dental implants, you can once again enjoy all the activities that make life worth living–eating your favorite foods, smiling for photos, speaking without worry or embarrassment. Give us a call today to schedule your consultation!