When tooth loss is a major concern, it is important to know and understand your denture option. At New Teeth Chicago Dental in Chicago, Illinois, our implant dentists offer a wide range of services including implant supported dentures, traditional dentures, fixed implants, Zygomatic Implants, and All-on-4 implant solutions.
What are implant-supported dentures?
Implant supported dentures describes the method that prosthetic dentures are attached and secured in your mouth. This process uses titanium posts to support full dentures and use your bone structure to have the denture sit directly on the gums with little movement and not need for adhesive gels.
Are Implant-Supported Dentures Removable?
Yes! In this approach, the overdenture rests directly on your gums. However, unlike traditional dentures, it is also supported and retained by an implant support bar. The support bar will not allow your dentures to slip or move, but will give you the freedom to remove them for cleaning and disinfection. This dental solution is a great option for replacing entire sets of missing teeth.
Benefits of Implant-Supported Dentures
There are a variety of reasons why implant-supported dentures are beneficial, including:
- Improve the aesthetics of your smile
- Allow you to eat harder foods
- Improve your ability to speak
- Restore your confidence
- Help prevent bone loss
- Do not need traditional denture adhesives
- Replace painful or rotted tooth roots
Implant Supported Denture Process
- Implants are placed and allowed to heal & fuse to your jawbone for optimal support.
- Dental abutments are placed above the gum line to attach to the implant support bar. The implant support bar is custom made and securely fastened to the implant posts.
- The denture prosthetic is created, fitted, and clipped onto the implant support bar. You are now ready to use your dentures regularly.
The process length will vary depending on each patient’s unique situation. The implant dentists will share the treatment plan and length during your initial diagnostic appointment
Alternative Denture Solutions
Implant-Supported dentures are only one full denture method. Each different method has its advantages and disadvantages and it is important to discuss those aspects with an experienced implant dentist like Dr. Atcha.
Other full denture solutions include:
- Traditional Dentures
- A denture prosthetic is custom fit to your jaw and gums. The prosthetic is removable for cleaning, disinfecting, and sleeping. It is secured by the vacuum created between the prosthetic and your gums. Adhesive gels are recommended to decrease the chances of slipping & sliding.
- Fixed Dentures
- Tiny titanium posts are inserted into your bone and naturally fused together to make a stable and secure hold for the denture prosthetic. The dentures are fitted into the implants and fitted tightly onto the gums & surrounding tissue. The prosthetic is not removable and will not slide or shift.
- Zygomatic Implants
- Not dentures themselves but a great solution with a jaw bone cannot securely hold an implant. The implants are placed in the cheekbone and can support a full denture prosthetic. This helps avoid additional surgeries or healing times for the jaw bone that is ineligible for dental implants.
- This approach has quickly become an industry favorite for many reasons. Just as the name suggests, 4 dental implants are strategically placed on the jaw to support a full denture prosthetic. These permanent dentures snap into place to avoid movement and slippage and do not need to be removed for cleaning.
If you or a loved one is searching for a solution for tooth loss that allows them to have a solution that lasts a lifetime, speak to Dr. Atcha. After a full diagnostic appointment, Dr. Atcha can recommend the proper solution that fits your lifestyle and your health needs. Together, he and dedicated team will design a smile that will keep you beaming from ear-to-ear. Schedule your appointment today to learn more.