The following instructions are essential to a safe experience and good outcome. Use this as a checklist as you approach your surgery date. If you are unable to comply with these instructions; you must notify our office as soon as possible. As a result, your surgery may have to be postponed or delayed, at the judgment of Dr. Irfan Atcha. This is essential to your health and safety.
There may be several weeks between your decision to have surgery and your actual surgical date. During this time, there are several important considerations.
Things to do and remember the day before your appointment:
- TAKE MEDICATION given by your dentist as discussed.
- NO SMOKING/ STOP SMOKING smoking can greatly impair your ability to heal. YOU MUST BE NICOTINE AND SMOKE-FREE FOR AT LEAST 6 WEEKS PRIOR TO SURGERY AND 6 WEEKS AFTER! You must also be free of any nicotine patch or nicotine-based products for a minimum of 6 weeks prior to surgery. Smoking will also affect the level of sedation during your treatment, and can negatively affect your comfort level during the appointment.
- NO ALCOHOL Please refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages 72 hours prior to surgery. The dentist cannot safely sedate you if you have had alcohol, narcotic pain medicines (including Vicodin/ Hydrocodone) or any street or recreational drugs.
- LEAD A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE/NO CAFFEINE/ DRINK PLENTY OF WATER In the 2 weeks prior to surgery; maintain the BEST of health and hygiene. A lingering cold, virus or other illness can result in your surgery being rescheduled. Make certain to address any illness immediately, and advise our office of any illness or change in your health. Please drink plenty of water continually throughout the 2 weeks prior to surgery. Please refrain from consuming caffeine beverages 1 week prior to surgery.
- PREPARE AND PLAN Make certain a responsible adult at least 18 years of age is confirmed available to stay with you around the clock for at least 24 hours following surgery.
- PRE-OPERATIVE TESTING Make certain to schedule all of the pre-operative testing and clearance you may have been given. Make certain all test results are received by Dr. Atcha at least 2 weeks prior to your scheduled surgery date.
- STOP taking the following medications 10 days prior to your surgery. Taking any of the following can increase your risk of bleeding and other complications.
- Aspirin and medications containing aspirin.
- Ibuprofen and anti-inflammatory agents (Motrin, Advil, Midol, and Excedrin)
- Vitamin E, St. John’s Wort, Garlic Supplements, Green Tea or green tea extracts and fish oil
- Estrogen supplements, Birth Control (some estrogen supplements and birth control may increase your risk of developing blood clots post surgery. Please check with your prescribing physician for proper pre-surgery medication instructions.)
- NOTHING TO EAT AFTER MIDNIGHT the night before the surgery. It is okay to take your medication with some water (2oz) on the morning of the appointment* (Unless otherwise instructed by the dentist)
The morning of your appointment
- -Take the sedative medication as instructed by the dentist before your appointment*
- -Please leave jewelry and watches at home
- -No contact lenses
- -Wear short sleeves and comfortable clothing
- -Wear comfortable shoes and socks
IT IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL THAT YOU HAVE YOUR ESCORT DRIVE YOU TO YOUR APPOINTMENT. WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROCEED WITH YOUR APPOINTMENT IF YOU DRIVE YOURSELF, AND THIS WILL RESULT IN FORFEITING YOUR PRE-PAID FEE FOR THE APPOINTMENT.
*REGRETTABLY, FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE ITEMS MARKED WITH AN ASTERISK CAN COMPROMISE THE SAFETY OF THE SEDATION PROCEDURE. In most cases, the dentist will NOT be able to proceed with your treatment.